Skunked.ca Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlist Log in

TRAA Trout Release - May 3rd

Reply to topic    Skunked.ca Forum Index » Club Meetings and Important dates View previous topic
View next topic
TRAA Trout Release - May 3rd
Bobbyhandcuffs
2000 Post Club

Post TRAA Trout Release - May 3rd Reply with quote
After months of daily care our latest batch of 40,000+ brown trout were ready to be released into a local Thames River tributary. We tend to do the releases based on the temperature of the host stream and with new batch of rainbow eggs already hatched and moving towards the big tank we had to get them out there ASAP. You'll see in some pictures the bigger ones actually went carnivorous. Ontario Out of Doors had a photographer show up and did a story on it as well then we had an absoluetly kick ass BBQ in the woods with burgers, giant hot dogs cooked over an open fire and what seemed like 20lbs of the best perch I have ever tasted.

...and I saw some beaver Shocked

Tue May 05, 2009 10:09 pm View user's profile Send private message
waterloofishin
Trophy hunter

Post Reply with quote
That is EXACTLY the kind of thing I want to do for the grand! That seems like such a great way to give back and help keep the fishery healthy and enjoyable, too bad I haven't heard of anything like this for the grand yet:( Congrats on doing your part bobby!
Tue May 05, 2009 10:20 pm View user's profile Send private message
Crazzyjunior
Gold Club Member

Post Reply with quote
Very nice pictures Bobby. Keep up the great work guys. How many fish would you say you've released altogether over the years? How many year have the TRAA been doing this?

Glad to see it getting some publicity.

Crazzyjunior

Tue May 05, 2009 10:21 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Bobbyhandcuffs
2000 Post Club

Post Reply with quote
CJ, lately we've been able to handle a lot more with the hatchery running smooth and lots of volunteers (including many skunks!) to help out. We average 50,000 to 150,000 fry released per year and the TRAA has been around since 1986... I'd say it's safe to say we've released approximately 750,000 to a 1,000,000 trout around London. With the walleye stocking and the bass transfers this makes for a very measurable impact on both coldwater and waterwater sportfishing locally.

We'll have another 50,000 rainbows going out in a early June and there is discussions about expanding to add a brook trout batch for a group that has approached us regarding a local stream that has an existing native population that could potentially be strengthed. Obviously with these things you want to be careful to protect species like wild brookies and not introduce more aggressive browns or bows in those streams.
Wed May 06, 2009 6:54 am View user's profile Send private message
jjcanoe
500 Post Club

Post Reply with quote
wish I could have been there, and also at the meeting tonight but Costco in Montreal NEEDS topsoil but not until 6am Thursday!

jjcanoe

Http://www.anglers.org/
Wed May 13, 2009 9:02 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
anders1
2000 Post Club

Post Reply with quote
Great work guys. You should be proud. I definitely want to get involved with the TRAA.

Thu May 14, 2009 6:53 am View user's profile Send private message
Eric The Pirate
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Wow how did I miss this???? Great job Bob.... I have a caption for the Beaver.... Uhhmmm Trout!!! Very Happy

Seen It All... Done It All... Forgot Most Of It...
Thu May 14, 2009 9:20 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Furious_D
Master Angler

Post Reply with quote
anders1 wrote:
Great work guys. You should be proud. I definitely want to get involved with the TRAA.

You definitely should Anders. This was my first year on tout rotation and I learned a tonne and had a blast doing it. The guys in the club are great and definitely have a passion for what they do. Thanks for supplying the dogs and burgers Bobbyhandcuffs and the perch was amazing bubbabear. All in all it was a pretty awesome day.
Thu May 14, 2009 10:12 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    Skunked.ca Forum Index » Club Meetings and Important dates All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: